Wisconsin Folks Focus
In Wisconsin Folks, the artistsí pages focus on the intersection of culture and art.
The featured cultures are those lived by Wisconsinites who are rural and urban, here for generations or newly arrived, native English speakers or speakers of English as a second (or third,
or fourth) language.
The featured arts are the traditional arts. These are art forms that are structured by the aesthetics and heritage of the artistís cultural group, and pursued in creative ways by the
The traditional arts of Wisconsin provide excellent content for pursuing required 4th, 8th, and 12th grade themes in Social Studies, Visual Art & Design, Music, Dance, English Language Arts,
Information & Technology Literacy, and Business.
- In the Social Studies, we emphasize the Behavioral Sciences (the identity and interaction of individuals, groups, institutions, and cultures), Geography (the relationships between people and
places), and History (continuity and change over time).
- In Visual Arts and Design, the emphasis is on art and design in local communities and in the world.
- In Music, we emphasize analysis, links with other arts and disciplines, and cultural connections.
- In Dance, movement as communication, art and a bridge between cultures is the focus.
- In the English Language Arts, Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking, and using Media and Technology are emphasized.
- In Information and Technology Literacy, the emphasis is on accessing and applying information.
- In Business, pages emphasize career development and teamwork skills.